Monday, April 17, 2006

Bush's 'political capital' goes into deficit

Live by the market based metaphor, die by the market based metaphor.

"Let me put it to you this way: I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it. It is my style. That's what happened in the -- after the 2000 election, I earned some capital. I've earned capital in this election -- and I'm going to spend it for what I told the people I'd spend it on, which is -- you've heard the agenda: Social Security and tax reform, moving this economy forward, education, fighting and winning the war on terror."
-George Bush, November 2004

What difference a year and a half can bring. A military quagmire, racially tinged incompetant response to a major national disaster and complete failure to advance your centerpiece and extremely unpopular legislative agenda and suddenly you're polling below 40%. For months. Then the far right of your own party picks a fight with one of the fastest growing voting blocs in the United States, politicizing a whole generation of their young people in a specifically anti-Republican fashion.
November is still seven months away, but it looks like it could be a cold season for the GOP.
Git yer schadenfreude on.

No comments:

Popular Posts