Friday, September 28, 2007

The hot new teen fad: Self Immolation

The first thoughts that go through my head when I hear the words 'flaming axe' are Jimi Hendrix at Monterey. This apparently, is just another sign of how old I am, because it now means turning a lighter and a can of Axe body spray into an improvised flame thrower and igniting yourself for the amusement of your friends and a YouTube audience.

Of course anything's better than actually using the stuff as a cologne. Ever been trapped in close proximity to a teenager who thinks Axe, and lots of it, is an effective substitute for soap? It'll make you want to rip your eyes out and plug your nose with them if your sinuses don't shut down automatically in self defense.

To be fair, I remember friends doing this trick with oven cleaner or hair spray when I was a kid but primarily as an improvised weapon in the occasional battles between punks, headbangers and skinheads on the suburban streets of Vancouver in the 80's. These were not Einsteins- some of them were huffing the leftovers - but even they would have thought doing it to yourself for kicks would be moronic.

Is this just another example of evolution in action?

2 comments:

Mike said...

"Is this just another example of evolution in action?"

When one of my co-workers told me about this today, that was exactly my reaction - Proof positive of Darwinian evolution.

Matthew The Astrologer said...

Of course. It's an attempt to thin out the herd. Why else do you think they call it "Axe"...?

Popular Posts