Thursday, November 06, 2008

Staying Classy

"I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too." - From President Barack Obama's victory speech

“Do the 18 million aborted black babies support Obama?” - The Free Republic's headline the next day.
There are two pathways ahead for the Republican Party:
  • They take the hint and tack back to the center, back to the careful moderation of an Eisenhower or a Ford. A path that will lead them back to power sooner rather than later.

  • They retreat to the resentful sullen fantasy that they lost because they just weren't right wing enough, becoming a deformed and angry Christianist regional rump party.
My bet is that they'll take the easy comforting path of option B, catering to an ever smaller base and fading into irrelevancy. That Free Republic headline is a symptom of a party in almost clinical denial of reality.

No comments:

Popular Posts