Monday, August 20, 2007

'I can put my arm back on, but you can't'

The greatest public service announcement of all time. This classic exhortation to Canadian children to not fling themselves through rotating saw blades is a stunningly effective special effects mini-masterpiece barely thirty seconds long.

This commercial is even more astonishing - and a little baffling - when you consider that it's more than twenty years old. I was in my early teens when it came out and I'm 37 now. This was a clip that must have had a huge budget for a PSA.

Information on the making of the original is frustratingly hard to track down. The War Amps made the inexplicable decision in recent years to replace this epic masterpiece with a sucktastic cheapo CGI version - presumably because someone told them that the kids are down with the computer animation these days.

Astar deserves better.

3 comments:

  said...

You can't tell me that the original didn't use computer animation either. This came out two years after Tron and I asumed as a child that it used the same technology as that and all the computerized graphics you'd see for logos at the beginning of films and of course in tv commercials. The later stuff looks like it was done on a PC or Mac.

  said...

You can't tell me that the original didn't use computer animation either. This came out two years after Tron and I asumed as a child that it used the same technology as that and all the computerized graphics you'd see for logos at the beginning of films and of course in tv commercials. The later stuff looks like it was done on a PC or Mac.

Cliff said...

Hollywood was only starting to clumsily merge CGI with live action in the 80's. With info about Astar's creation so hard to come by I can't tell you for sure they didn't use CGI but I strongly suspect that the majority of the spot is practical effects - green screen and models.

Popular Posts