Saturday, April 05, 2008

Well they are Social Darwinists...

Maybe Richard Dawkins will explain to the Fraser Institute that Social Darwinism is a rather moronic misapplication of Darwin's theories and that Survival of the Fittest is as much about the most effective cooperators as the most fierce competitors.
My own view, frequently expressed (for example in the The Selfish Gene and especially in the title chapter of A Devil's Chaplain) is that there are two reasons why we need to take Darwinian natural selection seriously. Firstly, it is the most important element in the explanation for our own existence and that of all life. Secondly, natural selection is a good object lesson in how NOT to organize a society. As I have often said before, as a scientist I am a passionate Darwinian. But as a citizen and a human being, I want to construct a society which is about as un-Darwinian as we can make it. I approve of looking after the poor (very un-Darwinian). I approve of universal medical care (very un-Darwinian).

No comments:

Popular Posts